Australian High Commission
Responsibility for Bermuda


Australian Passport Services

Travel to Australia:

Australian citizens (including dual citizens) should hold a valid Australian passport and use it to enter Australia.  For more information please refer to the Department of Home Affairs.



The Australian Passport Office (APO) is currently seeing strong demand for passports. For this reason, it is advising its customers to apply for or renew their passport well ahead of their planned travel dates. The APO is therefore recommending to allow at least 6 weeks to get a new passport. Priority processing is not available overseas.

*CANADA: Due to current limited passport appointment availability in Vancouver, applicants from western Canada can book an appointment, in advance, to lodge their passport applications at either Toronto or Ottawa. Please feel free to book your appointment online.


NOTICE – Passport arrangements during the COVID-19 pandemic

In response to the Coronavirus (COVID-19), including measures put in place by local authorities, changes have been made to our passport services. These changes are intended to protect you (our clients), our staff and the wider community.
At this time, the Australian High Commission Ottawa, the Australian-Consulate General Toronto and the Australian Consulate Vancouver continue to accept in-person passport applications by appointment only. Please contact your nearest Australian mission for further advice. 

In-person Interview Protocols

  • Clients must wear a face mask at all times. Passport staff may ask you to briefly lower or remove your mask to verify your identity. 
  • Clients must sanitise hands when entering the Australian mission
  • Clients are advised that only the lodging applicant, or one parent/guardian with minor attend the interview.  Children under age 16 are not required to attend the interview.  Associates are not permitted to use waiting areas in the mission.
  • Clients must attend their allotted interview time, if you are late you must reschedule.  Please do not arrive early to your interview.
  • Clients who feel unwell must reschedule their appointment.  Anyone showing signs of being unwell will be requested to leave the mission and reschedule their interview.

 As the situation surrounding COVID-19 continues to evolve, we will continue to provide updates as soon as possible. 

Have questions?

If you require further information, please contact the Australian High Commission Ottawa, the Australian Consulate-General Toronto or the Australian Consulate Vancouver, during business hours or DFAT’s Consular Emergency Centre in Canberra on +61 2 6261 3305 o discuss your situation and for further advice. In addition to Australia’s travel advice on Smartraveller and COVID-19 advice from Australia’s Department of Health, please see local information from Health Canada.

 Please regularly monitor this page and other relevant websites.

How to obtain a passport in Canada

All Australian citizens must lodge an Australian passport application in person. We are not able to accept applications by mail or courier. This helps us to protect you, by protecting the security and integrity of your Australian passport.
For child applications, one parent must lodge the application in person. Children aged 16 and 17 years old must also attend the passport interview with the lodging parent.

Please ensure to book your passport appointment in advance.

Passports are produced in Australia and you should allow at least 6 weeks for standard processing of a completed application, not including postage delivery of your new passport. Priority processing is not available in Canada, and expedited service is only available in Australia.  

Steps to apply:

     1. Fill our your passport application form online

     2. Sign and date your form using Australian date format (DD/MM/YYYY)

     3. Obtain two (2) new passport photos

     4. Prepare for your interview - *see What to bring to your appointment’ below.

     5. Lodge your application in person. You must book your appointment in advance. 

     6. Allow up to 6 weeks to receive your new passport.


Quick Links

1. Australian Passport Renewal Application (form PC7)

2. Overseas Australian Passport Application (form PC8 – ADULT – age 18 years or older)

3. Overseas Australian Passport Application (form PC8 – CHILD – under age 18 years)   

4. List of Approved Guarantors in Canada

5. Name changes (*client must use form PC8)   

6. Passport & Travel Document Fees

7. Passport Photo Guidelines   


Which form should I use? 

Please register online to complete and print your passport application, at the Australian Passport Office global website  You will automatically be directed to the correct form.

Your application form does not need to be printed in colour and can be printed in black and white.

The application form online is set at Australian A4 size paper. When printing your application form, you may need to adjust your printer settings to fit the application form for printing on North American Letter-size paper (8.5" x 11") or Legal-size paper (8.5" x 14"). Please pay close attention to ensure that all details are visible on each printed page. 

If you are unable to complete the form online OR if you wish to obtain a printed form to be completed by hand, please contact your nearest Australian diplomatic or consular mission .

The following information below outlines the criteria for each application:

Australian Passport Renewal Application (PC7)

                1. you are an adult (18 years or older), AND

                2. your most recent passport was issued when you were 16 years old, AND

                3. you are not changing your name , AND

                4. your most recent passport is/was valid for over two years at the time of issue, AND

                5. your most recent passport has not been reported lost/stolen, AND

                6. your most recent passport was issued on or after 01/01/2006, AND

                7. you are successfully able to answer the security questions on the website


Application for an Australian Passport Overseas (PC8 – Adult or Child)

* if you do not qualify for a renewal form, you must use the Application for an Australian Passport Overseas. This includes the following applicants:

                1. you are applying for a first Australian passport

                2. you are applying for a child passport (under 18 years of age)

                3. you are applying for a first adult passport and your child passport was issued to you at 15 years or younger

                4. you are replacing a lost or stolen passport

                5. you are changing your name or personal details on the passport

                6. you are applying for your first passport after resumption of Australian citizenship

                7. you are applying to replace a limited validity, emergency passport,

                8. you cannot answer the security questions for the renewal form.

Where to lodge your Australian passport application

Canada: Applicants must arrange a passport appointment  in advance at the Australian High Commission Ottawa, the Australian Consulate-General in Toronto or the Australian Consulate in Vancouver.  You are welcome to arrange the appointment at your nearest location. Appointments are available from Monday to Friday only.

Outreach: The Australian High Commission and Australian Consulates occasionally visit other cities in Canada to conduct passport interviews as part of an outreach program. Please monitor our website for the upcoming outreach schedule or our Facebook and Twitter accounts. 

Bermuda: While the Australian High Commission Ottawa has consular jurisdiction for Bermuda, passport applicants residing in Bermuda are welcome to also lodge their passport application at your nearest Australian mission, Australian consulate or Australian embassy, including in the United States .


What to bring to your passport appointment

It is important that you bring the correct documents to your passport interview so your application can proceed. All documents must be original. We do not accept copies of any kind, including copies made by a notary public. 

Where an original supporting document is in a language other than English, an original English translation is required, by an approved certified translator:

     List of approved provincial organizations in Canada (excluding Quebec)
     List of approved organizations in Quebec
     If you are obtaining the translation in Australia, please contact the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI)


Do I need a guarantor? 

If you are lodging the Adult Passport Renewal Application (PC7), your application form and photos do not need to be endorsed by a guarantor.

If you are lodging the Overseas Australian Passport Application (PC8), you will require a guarantor to correctly endorse the back of your photos and to complete section 11 of the application form:

 List of Approved Guarantors in Canada

The following information outlines the required documentation to lodge a passport application – however, you should always review the requirements for your application from the Australian Passport Office . If you have any questions prior to your appointment, please contact the office where you are lodging your application.


Passport Application Checklists

1. Australian Passport Renewal Application (PC7)

2. Overseas Australian Passport Application (PC8 – ADULT – age 18 years or older)

3. Overseas Australian Passport Application (PC8 – CHILD – under age 18 years)   


Australian Passport Photos

Please check your photos! Australian passport photos are different to Canadian passport photos and sometimes can be difficult to obtain. It remains your responsibility to ensure the photos meet the Australian passport photos requirements. It is our experience that photos from local pharmacies and department stores do not normally have a high enough resolution to meet our requirements.

Please provide 2 new passport photos, that are not more than six months old, and that meet the Australian passport photo requirements and Camera Operator Guidelines  . 

Your photographer should also be able to produce: glossy prints at a high resolution; photos without shadows or flash reflection on your face; photos with no ‘red-eye’; and no ‘background-removal’ or ‘post-capture alteration’. Photos cannot be re-touched.

If you are lodging the Adult Passport Renewal Application (PC7), your photos do not need to be endorsed by a guarantor. Simply print your full name on the back of one of your photos.

If you are lodging the Application for an Australian Passport Overseas (PC8), you will need a guarantor to endorse your photos. Please refer to PC8 applications instructions above.


Urgent Travel – Emergency Passport

If you need to travel within the next three weeks, please contact a passport officer where you are lodging your application.  You may be eligible for an Emergency passport. Please note that not everyone is eligible for an Emergency passport and you should discuss this with the passport officer before making any travel plans. Please bring proof of your need to travel to your appointment, such as your original travel itinerary, letter from employer, etc.

Emergency Passport – an application for an emergency passport is normally processed within two (2) business days. The document has four visa pages, the document does not have an electronic chip and the validity will be limited. If you are planning to travel from Canada to Australia via the United States, an emergency passport may not be eligible for entry under the United States Visa Waiver Program (ESTA) . Applicants will need to contact their nearest United States visa office, prior to arranging travel, to enquire about entry to the United States with an emergency passport and to arrange an urgent visa appointment .

It remains your responsibility to ensure your emergency passport is suitable for travel, including transit, to a particular country.  The Australian High Commission cannot assist travellers to obtain a visa or make visa appointments for any foreign countries.


Lost or Stolen Passports

To report the loss or theft of your Australian passport, please contact the Australian Passport Information Service (APIS) on 131 232 or if you are overseas, please contact your nearest Australian diplomatic or consular mission .

Travel Document and Passport Fees

Passport fees are set in Canadian dollars and are subject to monthly review in accordance with exchange rate fluctuations.

As of 1 July 2015, an additional Overseas Surcharge will be applied to passport applications lodged outside of Australia. This fee will not apply to emergency passports.

Fees for passport applications lodged in Ottawa, Toronto or Vancouver may be paid by credit card (Visa or MasterCard only). The following credit card authorization form can be printed, completed and signed, if another person wishes to pay for your passport application by credit card only.

Credit card authorization form (downloadable PDF) 
Credit card authorization form (web page form to print)



If you wish to provide comments on passport services, please complete the online feedback form available on the Australian Passport Office (APO) website .


After hours Passport and Consular Assistance

Australian citizens who require urgent consular or passport assistance may contact the Australian High Commission in Ottawa during regular business hours on: +1 613 236 0841. Outside of regular business hours, please contact the 24-Hour Consular Emergency Centre in Australia on: +61 2 6261 3305. Please visit Smartraveller for more information.


Personal information provided to the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) is protected by law, including the Privacy Act 1988. We may collect, use and disclose your personal information, including to overseas recipients where we reasonably believe it is necessary, to provide you with consular assistance. Important information about the privacy of your personal information is contained in our Consular Privacy Collection Statement, which you should read and understand. Copies of the Statement are available at or by requesting a copy from the Department and/or The Australian High Commission, Ottawa.